Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Visual Literacy Statement


                Visual literacy has opened my eyes and broadened my perspective on the media arts this year. Before I was well versed only in audio, and interested in the other arts. But this class has really taught me the basics in design, photography, and video. I’ve always just skated along in natural ability and experimenting at what looked best to me in these fields, but it has been great to actually learn about what established practices are, and what terms and techniques are used in each of the various disciplines.
                What surprised me this semester has been my interest in filmmaking and editing video in general.  Going into the class I assumed that my favorite focus would be still photography. While that interest has not wanted whatsoever, I was pleasantly surprised by the joy I receive from editing video into something concrete.  I think that the effort that must take place into producing a video results in greater satisfaction when the piece of art is finished and you’re able to share it with others.
                A key lesson I learned from this class, and elsewhere, this semester is that disappointment and frustration are just as key to the creative process as the light bulb moment of inspiration and ideation. It remains a part that no one sees or necessarily understands, but that failure and disappointment are signs that you are actively searching for a solution to whatever the problem posed is. So all in all, Visual Literacy has taught me a great deal about not only the appropriate techniques used to create media art, but also about the purpose and direction of creativity in general. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment