Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Short Story: Memento


                I read the short story Memento Mori by Jonathan Nolan. I came up with five visual elements to emphasize if I was directing the film adaptation. First of all, I think I would make sure that color scheme was very muted for the most of the movie. Dull greys, whites, and blues would be the norm for the filming of it. Not only does that convey the overall tone of the short story I felt, but you could also have sharp contrast with things such as the cigarette lighter or alarm clock that would make them really stand out in the midst of the movie.  Secondly, I would emphasize the alarm clock. You could make quick, startling cuts to it right as its ringing to bring some excitement into the movie. Next would be the pictures that are continually mentioned in the movie. These are visuals that would be very important to emphasize as they are important in the story as well. You could do all sorts of crane techniques to bring them reveal them or bring them into frame, as well as having some interior framing shots. Another thing to spotlight during the movie would be the visuals going on while the internal dialogue is happening. It’s important to strike the right balance between having shots that engage the audience but don’t totally distract for the voiceover going and plot that’s going on. And with so much of it in this short story, it is an element that I would certainly spend a lot of time on and plan out well. Lastly, I think the signs that appear all throughout the movie would be essential to focus on. You could so really awesome framing with the signs, and also some cuts between them too. Present them in a way that impacts the audience and conveys the import of the signs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment