To create my photo essay, I meandered around the streets of Washington, DC one Friday afternoon, as well as using a few pictures I had shot earlier in the semester. It was great practice being able to take time to play with the manual settings on my DSLR camera. Taking a day to do these things also gave me time to set up my shots for the most part, and take a lot of photos to see what worked and what didn’t. Being able to review photos on the spot with a DSLR is a huge blessing.
One of things I didn’t really do and wish I had was to do some simple editing. I feel like had I done a little work with the contrast, brightness, shadows, and highlights, I could’ve more accurately replicated the scene that I saw in front of me and attempted to capture with a camera lens. Not to manipulate or massively alter the picture, but to make the colors pop a bit more, and add some vibrancy to the shots.
Another thing I also learned was how to properly catalog pictures. It seems like a very menial thing, but is a tool that can make the entire process much more efficient. I explored the different import options to sort by date taken, date uploaded, etc. And how important organization is to keeping different takes of the same subject.
All in all, I really felt like this was a good introduction into taking photographs with a purpose, and then being able to discern which pictures mean the most to you and picking those into a set of ten or so.
0 comments:
Post a Comment